Last Updated on March 6, 2023 by Corynn
Taking classes in college is completely different than the ones in high school. Instead of 75 minute classes you’re now attending a 2-3 hour lecture. You want to make sure you’re prepared at all times throughout the day. Here is a list of college backpack essentials that should be in your bag as a student.
This post contains affiliate links from Amazon and other brands where I will be receiving a small commission on any items you may buy. You can read terms and conditions for more information. All photos are credited to the source unless they are my own.
This blog post is about backpack essentials for college
Do College Students Need A Backpack?
After carrying a backpack from kindergarten to high school, we all want to know; do college students need a backpack?
Absolutely! Your course load will be increase and you need a bag that can carry your laptop, textbooks, binders, and any items you need throughout the day.
Backpacks are great for college students who are commuting to and from campus. As well as students who are living on campus, but have a far walk from residents to the campus.
What Should You Do Before Buying A Backpack For College?
Now that we realize that yes in college you still need a backpack. How can you pick the right one to use? I highly suggest taking the time to research backpacks you would like to use.
Here are 7 things to consider before buying a backpack for college;
- What is going to be my textbook load?
- Does it fit the laptop you will be using?
- Does this backpack support all the items I need and not put too much weight on my back?
- How is the backpack capacity? Can it fit all my stuff that I will be using on campus.
- Backpack features: what do you want your backpack to include (usb port, laptop sleeve, water bottle holder, etc.)
- Compartments: how many compartments do you need?
- The size: how big or how small would you like your backpack to be?
Here are a few backpacks and tote bags you can use in college.
What Should I Carry In My Backpack?
After deciding what kind of college bag you would like, here is a list of items you should always have inside of your college bag.
- Writing utensils (pencils, paper clips, erasers, highlighter, pens, wite-out, etc.)
- Gum or breath mints
- Chargers for your phone and laptop
- Lip balm/Lip gloss
- Hand lotion
- Water bottle (Simple Modern has the best non-leak proof water bottles!)
- Mini Stapler
- Feminine Hygiene Products
- ID (government and school)
- Mini first aid kit (This mini first aid kit is perfect to fit inside of your bag!)
- Umbrella (small compact umbrella to fit inside of your bag)
- and class supplies
How Do I Organize My College Backpack?
Now that you know what you should carry inside of your college backpack, here is a list of ways on how you can prevent your backpack from getting disorganized;
- Reframe from keeping any garbage in your bag
- Use pouches to store small like items
- Keep like minded objects together
- Carry only the necessities
- Keep small items away from large areas in backpack to prevent losing them
These are all the things you need inside of your college backpack. Not sure what other supplies you for college. Check out my blog post here about all the college supply must haves you need!